Explore Okinawa SakuraCo
Subscription box: SakuraCo
Theme/Month: Explore Okinawa, August 2021
Ownership: Subscribed on their 3 boxes option. If you are interested in purchasing a Sakura Co subscription, you can do it on their website.
SakuraCo is a new box that focuses on Japanese tea, sweets and snacks from local makers for you to enjoy. And the idea is that you take a unique snack journey around Japan with the contents of the box. I’ve been subscribed since the first box and so far enjoyed the journey.
This box was all about purple potato, and interesting more savoury flavours. So let’s see what was inside, starting from the top left and going clockwise:
- Kombu Arare Crackers, crispy and with sea flavours.
- Beni Imo Pie, which has a crispy puff pastry and a potato sweet paste inside, it is odd but tasty.
- Sanpincha Tea
- Beni Imo Tart, this looks like they had just made you a little pastry and poured the fresh pastry on it. Tastier than the pie.
- Owan Bowl with a sakura pattern, currently have mine willed with sweets.
- Brown Sugar Shisa Candy, perfection. Hard shell, soft caramel sugar goodness inside.
- Okinawa Tofu Chips, nice chips and crispy.
- Lightly Salted Red Bean, a bit dry but delicious.
- Yuzu Monaka, citrusy and delicious.
- Kogane Shikuwasa Manju, also a bit dry but not too sweet or sour or bitter.
- Shikuwasa Jelly, refreshing.
- Apple and Mango Melange Jelly, delicious, I want more of this please!
- Brown Sugar Manju, I am probably not the fondest of manju but the brown sugar part was delicious.
- Issa Cracker, they are more refreshing and light than I expected. Seaweed flavoured.
- Snow Salt Chinsuko, very soft and flaky, almost melt in your mouth.
- Sata Andagi Beni Imo Doughnuts, very nice, wished for more because it is like little doughnut holes filled with a sweet potato paste.
- It also came with a postcard and the leaflet with a description of everything alongside more details about why they included them, etc.
Probably not my favourite one as it was a bit repetitive and a lot of manju therefore a bit too dry and not as tasty but still quite good.