Hokkaido Summer SakuraCo
Subscription box: SakuraCo
Theme/Month: Hokkaido Summer, July 2021
Ownership: Subscribed on their 3 boxes option. If you are interested in purchasing a Sakura Co subscription, you can do it on their website.
SakuraCo is a new box that focuses on Japanese tea, sweets and snacks from local makers for you to enjoy. And the idea is that you take a unique snack journey around Japan with the contents of the box. I’ve been subscribed since the first box and so far enjoyed the journey.
As per usual, the box is crammed full of snacks and delicious treats, so let’s start unboxing from the top left and skipping the repeated snacks that ended away from their twin:
- Melon Soft Sand, crispy crunchy wafer with a very thin layer of melon cream, but still very flavourful.
- Butter Mochi Senbei, crunchy and slightly honey sweet mochi
- Hokkaido Grilled Corn Senbei, sweet and full of corn flavour but not the way you expect.
- Yubari Melon Jelly, a fresh summer melon, sweet and extremely pleasant, almost like biting the real thing.
- Okina Dorayaki, just a nice fluffy dorayaki.
- Hearty Age mochi, savoury mochi with a sea like taste.
- Yubari Melon Cream Sandwich Cookies, the cookie kept confusing me but the cream was delicious.
- Yawaraka Rum Raisin, boozy and delicious, a contrast to the rest of the box for sure but a good one.
- Hokkaido Milk Cheesecake, I prefer this type of cheesecake so much more. Absolutely delicious.
- Milk Mochi, sticky and chewy and delicious.
- Melon Mochi, I love these bags of mochi, absolute pleasure and last long enough even if I have to stop myself from eating them all at once.
- Peach Matcha Tea
- Kibi Dango, another mochi with chewy and sweet flavour.
- Hangetsu side plate. It matches a tray in a previous box and fits nicely to present food.
- The monthly leaflet with details fo each snack, ingredients, allergens and a bit of history of some of the choices or why focusing on melon and the region.
This box definitely gave me a summer vibe feel to it and I have enjoyed my way through it. It also had some familiar types of snacks but other new ones that surprised me, and I am slowly still figuring out what type of things I like the most. That cheesecake felt risky to eat at first but each bite made it just a favourite more and more.